UBC Community Field Experience
The Cariboo-Chilcotin School District will welcome up to 20 UBC Teacher candidates in Spring 2023 for CFE. We are pleased to offer an incredible experience in a beautiful and natural setting, amongst vibrant small communities, and within a district that is actively transforming practice and environments toward success for all students. Come and experience Cariboo hospitality while you contribute your strengths, gifts, and passions to our learning community.
Secondary Cohort: May 15 - June 2, 2023
Elementary & Middle Years dates: June 5 - June 23, 2023
- Placements at rural schools (Dog Creek, Alexis Creek, Naghtaneqed, Tatla Lake) with accommodations in teacherages
- For teacher candidates who have their own accommodations or are applying for positions with us, we can provide placements at any school in the district or look at alternate community placements including Scout Island Nature Centre
- For the Elementary and Middle Years cohort dates we will also have 2 placements at Gavin Lake Forest Education Centre (with accommodations). Preference will be given to candidates with lifeguarding and/or canoeing instructor certification.
- Accommodations provided
- Cohort BBQ and other events
- A personal vehicle is handy for candidates in rural placements but we can also place candidates together for transportation
- Guaranteed interview for all candidates who apply for positions (can be in advance and experience tailored to what you are applying for)
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
CFE Spring 2022 Highlights
From one of our candidates:
"Our time in Alexis Creek has been amazing. Not only is the area steeped in beauty and history but the school here is home to an extremely dedicated group of staff who care deeply about their students.
During our time here, we were taken aback by the immense beauty around us and had some wonderful hikes in Farewell Canyon, Bull Canyon, and Tatla Lake. We also learned so much about the local Chilcotin culture, salmon fishing, and had lots of fun playing the local game of Slahal. The community welcomed us with open arms and we were regularly picked up from our teacherage to go on an unplanned adventure into the countryside. We also learned about hunting, rode quad bikes, and experienced first-hand what it was like to have wildlife (deer, bears, foxes) right outside our front door.
Our experience at the school was extremely enriching and completely surpassed all our expectations. We were able to immerse ourselves in the school and were given the complete freedom to design our own experience from the start. Through this, we were able to focus on our passions and were grateful to be able to share those with the students at the school. We will cherish our experience in Alexis Creek for the rest of our teaching careers and hope to be back soon!"