Getting Ready for Kindergarten
How Parents Can Help!
Social & Emotional Skills
- Show me how to get along with others.
- Allow me to make new friends.
- Teach me to “use my words”.
- Give me time to “use my words” ( five seconds)
- Encourage me to speak in complete sentences.
- Help me learn to follow simple routines.
- Provide early bedtime routines for me.
- Provide times for me to be away from you.
- Give me chances to take turns.
- Help me learn self-control.
- Show me good manners and help me practice.
- Encourage me to listen to others.
- Teach me kindness.
- Show me how to care for others.
- Talk to me about feelings and name them so I can talk about feelings too.
- Help me learn that my actions have consequences.
- Give me chances to work on my own.
- Give me chances to be responsible.
Safety & Self-Help Skills
- Teach me to use the bathroom by myself.
- Teach me the names of my body parts.
- Let me dress myself.
- Teach me my full name, age, phone number and parents’ names.
- Show me how to care for my belongings.
- Encourage me to clean up after myself.
- Expect me to put away my own toys.
Coordination Skills (Large and small muscle control)
- Let me run, jump, hop and march.
- Play ball with me.
- Let me build with blocks.
- Let me practice opening and closing things.
- Show me how to zip, button, tie and wrap clothing.
- Help me use scissors to cut out simple shapes and pictures.
- Give me crayons and pencils to use.
- Let me cut and paste and draw and paint.
- Teach me to make lines and circles and to print my name.
Problem Solving Skills – Science Discovery
- Talk about similarities and differences.
- Help me ask questions about the world.
- Show me about cause and effect.
- Encourage me to create collections.
- Encourage me to observe nature.
- Let me experiment and make predictions.
- Give me time to figure things out.
- Let me touch, hear, see, smell and taste when it is safe.
- Give me opportunities to help prepare snacks and meals.
- Help me learn the colours.
- Give me chances to weigh things.
- Help me understand relationships between things.
- Teach me about space like: above, below, next to, in front of, after, before.
- Encourage me to use describing words, such as, big, little, small, smooth, rough, over, under, fat, thin, long, short.
Problem Solving Skills – Math
- Help me discover parts and wholes.
- Help me learn the basic shapes.
- Give me chances to sort and match objects by colour, size and shape.
- Show me groups in sets of two, three, four and five.
- Play counting games with me so I can learn to count to ten.
- Talk about time, such as, “Its 7 o’clock, time for bed,” the seasons and today, tomorrow, and yesterday.
- Show me how to measure and count: for baking, for building, and travelling.
- Talk about place such as: first, second, third, and last.
- Give me chances to follow patterns and put things in order.
- Give me puzzles to solve with 4 – 12 pieces.
- Help me learn to estimate and make good guesses.
- Give me chances to express myself through art, music, dance, cooking, building and drama.
- Help me learn to make choices.
- Show me how to invent and experiment.
- Help me pretend and imagine.
- Let me to think and wonder.
- Support and encourage my interests and talents.
Language Skills (Reading Readiness Skills)
- Read to me often every day.
- Talk about the stories with me.
- Let me retell simple stories to you.
- Help me to make up my own stories.
- Show me how you read from the left to right on a page and from the front to back of a book.
- Give me letters to play with like magnetic letters for the fridge, or letters cut out of a magazine.
- Help me learn what my name looks like and the letters in my name.
- Sing songs with me.
- Share rhymes with me.
- Help me learn words in my world ( i.e. STOP signs, cereal boxes, t-shirts)