Back to School Message from the Superintendent
Dear Staff and Families;
We are excited and happy to have students returning to schools and classrooms across SD#27 on September 8! On Tuesday, August 24, the Ministry of Education and Public Health released the guidelines for the k-12 sector. While I am sure many were hoping for closer to “normal”, there is a lot to be optimistic in this years’ return to school. We are continuing with many of the precautions that were in place last spring:
- Students in grades 4-12 are required to wear masks indoors
- Students in grades k-3 are recommended to wear masks
- All staff are required to wear masks
- Masks must be worn on buses
- There are exceptions for when students can’t, or are unable to, wear a mask
- Please work with your school administration
- Schools may limit visitors and they should schedule in advance where possible
- Daily health checks continue
In SD#27, we also planned for the enhanced cleaning schedule to continue. It will continue to be important for classes to find opportunities to be outdoors and we will see the continued benefit of the outdoor structures that were built during the last school year.
Some other changes that should be noted:
- There will no longer be cohorts
- 2M of distance is no longer specified
- Return of school sports
- Increased field trip options
- Health Authorities may recommend specific measures for a region and/or school district
The Province continues to work with regards to vaccination. At this point, there is no requirement for staff or students to be vaccinated in order to work or attend school in the k-12 sector.
Please review the following links for detailed information. Schools will be updating their protocols to reflect any changes. Contact your school administration for more information.
Chris van der Mark, Superintendent of Schools