What is Nature Kindergarten?
Scout Island Nature Kindergarten is a full-day program of choice which takes place at Scout Island Nature Centre. Children who are adaptable, flexible, enthusiastic, able to follow directions well, cooperative, have no problem getting dirty and love to be outdoors in all kinds of weather will be best suited for this rigorous program.
Who Can Take Part in this Program?
Any child who resides within School District #27 boundaries and whose 5th birthday falls between January 1 and December 31, 2018 can participate in this program, if space is available. Since the Nature Kindergarten is affiliated with Marie Sharpe Elementary, families outside the Marie Sharpe catchment area will need to complete a School of Choice application. To find out if your child will be suited to this program, please attend one of the information sessions listed below.
Registration Step 1 : Attend an Information Session
To ensure the greatest success for the children in this program, parents must attend an information session if they are interested in registering their child in this program. These sessions will allow you to develop a better understanding of the Nature Kindergarten program, and what it will mean for your child and family. This is the only opportunity to get an application form. Sessions will be offered:
- Monday, January 15, 2018 at Scout Island 6:30 pm
- Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at Little Moccasins Learning Centre 6:30 pm
Both sessions will cover the same information. A family member must be present to receive an application form. Application forms will only be available at the parent information sessions.
Registration Step 2: Register at Your Catchment Area School Beginning January 22, 2018 after 9:00 am, But No Later than March 15, 2018.
Take the completed Nature Kindergarten application form and a completed School of Choice application form (if out of Marie Sharpe catchment area).
- School of Choice applications are date and time-stamped (First Come First Served)
- All forms must be complete. Application forms must be initialed and signed by a parent to be considered complete. Only completed application forms will be considered. The process for completing application forms will be reviewed at the parent information sessions.
- A wait list will also be allocated. Students will be accepted off the wait list if a space becomes available. Vacant spots will not normally be filled by wait-listed students after September 15, 2018.
How Will I Know If My Child Has a Space?
Parents of accepted students will be notified no later than April 15, 2018. At this point, their child will be officially enrolled in the Scout Island Nature Kindergarten program and their child will no longer be enrolled at any other school.