School District No. 27 (Cariboo-Chilcotin) is located in the interior of British Columbia and welcomes international and non-resident students if the necessary criterion is met.

Students may study at a local school for a term, a semester, a year, or for several years in order to expand their English language or to graduate from a Canadian high school. We offer the following at our schools:

  • A school year of September to June
  • Grades 8-12 (ages 13 and over) for secondary school study
  • Grades K-7 (ages 5-12) for elementary school study
  • Kindergarten is full days each day and students must be 5 years of age at December 31 of that particular year
  • Excellent academic programs leading to BC high school graduation
  • English as a Second Language/English as a Second Dialect instruction (Early Language Learning – ELL)
  • Early French Immersion for all grades

Check out other links in our website for more detailed information about programs offered in School District No. 27.

ALL international and non-resident students must have written approval from the Superintendent of Schools or designate before registering at a school in School District No. 27.

There are three ways that an international or non-resident student may be registered in School District No. 27:

  1. No tuition fee
  2. Exchange program
  3. Tuition fee

For no tuition fee or no exchange the following criterions must be met:

  • The child and child’s guardian(s) are ordinarily resident in British Columbia;
  • The child’s guardian(s) has a working permit from Canada Immigration for a term of one year or will be attending school;
  • The child is participating in an educational exchange program;
  • The child is in the custody of the Ministry of Children and Family Development;
  • The child resides in British Columbia and has made a claim for refugee status in Canada and whose claim has not yet been determined; OR
  • The child resides in British Columbia and is detained in custody in a youth custody centre.
  • An Exchange Program must be a one student in-one student out of the same district for the same length of time, with the exchange completed within two years. The following is required:
  • The student must hold a student visa from Canadian Immigration
  • The sponsoring organization must obtain a letter from the Superintendent of Schools, or designate, which indicates that the School District is prepared to enroll the student subject to the necessary immigration status being obtained.
  • The number of students approved to attend any specific school will be determined by the Superintendent of Schools, or designate, and at no additional cost to the Board.
  • Students from School District No. 27 may participate in a recognized educational exchange with the approval of the student’s parent or legal guardian.

Tuition-Paying Students must meet the following criteria:

  • Tuition fees are reviews annually by the Board of Education and payable in advance by wire transfer, and are non-refundable. A shorter attendance period will be pro-rated relative to the time of attendance.
  • International students enrolled in the School District will have academic ability and proficiency in English such that additional services are not required.
  • Students will be responsible for their own housing; however the School District may provide information to families that may assist the family in finding suitable accommodation.
  • The Board is not responsible for travel arrangements, accommodation, or medical expenses of international students.
  • International students are eligible to register on a yearly basis and extensions beyond one year may be permitted on the recommendation of the school principal to the Superintendent of Schools, or designate.

Tuition Fee:

$12,000 per year

Definitions: Ordinarily Resident

The term ‘ordinarily resident’ is not defined in the School Act; however the term is interpreted by the courts by assessing whether the guardian(s) has:

  • A ‘settled purpose’ for taking up residence in the community; and
  • Sufficient continuity of residence, despite temporary absences


A child’s ‘parent’ for the purposes of the School Act, means a person who is legally the ‘guardian of the person’ of the child, or a person who is legally entitled to custody, or a person who usually has care and control of the child. These include court-appointed guardians, such as the director of child protection and foster parents. When parents of a child are separated, the Family Relations Act defines the legal guardianship of the child.

A parent who does not live with the child and has no court-ordered rights of custody or access is not a ‘guardian of the person’ of the child and therefore does not have the rights of a ‘parent’ under the School Act.

A legal guardian cannot be appointed by a letter from parents. Persons who are not a child’s parents can become the child’s guardian either by court order under Section 30 of the Family Relations Act or by a will under Section 40 of the Infants’ Act.

The Board of Education is entitled to request necessary documentation to determine ‘ordinarily residency’ and ‘guardianship’.

Jackie Shaw

Executive Assistant
T: (250) 398-3811

Contact Jackie Shaw for more information.